Home Forums Today's Posts Classifieds
Go Back   Crownie HQ Boater's Forum > General Discussion Non Boating

Old 08-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #51
codgaard

vCash: 500

[QUOTE=Ryan, have you done surfing video yet? If so, how did you launch/recover? How long does it take to get proficient enough to feel comfortable launching from the boat? Have you had a desire to move up to the bigger drones yet?[/QUOTE]

My 2 cents.....I have the Phantom Pro and love it. I've also flown the Mavik and it is also great. Having 2 batteries with any of them is almost a must if you want to fly more than 20-25 minutes at a time. As far as launching and recovering from the boat I would recommend the Phantom. Both will launch from anywhere but the Phantom is easier to recover because you can grab the "landing gear" and shut it down without actually landing it on a flat surface. Video and still images are incredible with both due to an awesome camera gimbal that DJI uses as well as a great camera. The biggest pro with the Mavik that I've seen is the size but it's never been a problem for me with the Phantom. Comes with a pretty solid case that isn't very big and I've never considered replacing it with something different.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #52
johnny8462
Johnny T

Look at splash drone. Land and takes off in water. Made by swellpro
2005 Buell XB12
johnny8462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:01 PM   #53
johnny8462
Johnny T

Check out the splash drone. Can land and take off in water. It can also drop cargo from the air(like water balloon or life vest). Its made by swellpro. https://www.swellpro.com
2005 Buell XB12
johnny8462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #54
Todd157k
"Tail Watchers"

There's an app for your phone called "B4Ufly" and you should get it. It takes your location and shows you where you CAN'T fly. (airports, hospitals, every dog shit on the road) You'd be amazed how little fly area you really have. I've been flying for years and on my 4th drone already. (Mavic Air). Some places are so tight azz about it, they just say "No flying anywhere" and they're done. Although local leo's aren't overly concerned and don't usually do/say anything, if someone complains and you're in a 'no fly zone' they'll write you a hefty fine and confiscate the drone. They don't want to deal with it either.

This was one of our first boat/drone vids: Picks up at about the 40 sec mark. (San Diego bay, USS Nimitz in the background, Coronado Bridge ahead of us). When it was shot, there were no "no fly zones" established. There's an airport just 3 miles north of here, and a large amount of naval ships around there. You can't fly there any longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt-VwINavU0
Old 08-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #55
Eddie Wooten

vCash: 4663

Just got a Mavic Pro fly more combo on prime day sale been learning alot thru trail and error. Be sure to register your drone with FAA can be a 10K fine 5.00 for 3 years
Eddie Wooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:36 PM   #56
codgaard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Wooten View Post
Just got a Mavic Pro fly more combo on prime day sale been learning alot thru trail and error. Be sure to register your drone with FAA can be a 10K fine 5.00 for 3 years
Probably not the worst advise to register but I refuse to give in to our government's unquenchable thirst for watching and regulating every fu**ing thing we do. They can shove their registration up their ass. Don't worry, if you crash or they find your registered drone in an area where it's not suppose to be, they will still charge you that $10K fine. No thanks, I'm ok with them not knowing I have a drone and I always operate it safely.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #57
milehighjc
Bleeds Scarlet and Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by codgaard View Post
My 2 cents.....I have the Phantom Pro and love it. I've also flown the Mavik and it is also great. Having 2 batteries with any of them is almost a must if you want to fly more than 20-25 minutes at a time. As far as launching and recovering from the boat I would recommend the Phantom. Both will launch from anywhere but the Phantom is easier to recover because you can grab the "landing gear" and shut it down without actually landing it on a flat surface. Video and still images are incredible with both due to an awesome camera gimbal that DJI uses as well as a great camera.
Im thinking that I will want at least 3 batteries... not so much of a duration thing to me, but rather that I would expect multiple flights in a day, and it would be nerve racking to me to take off with anything less than a full charge. From what I have researched so far, recovery to a boat is a mandatory hand recovery - Landing on the sunpad (which is what I was originally thinking) sounds like a bad, potentially dangerous idea.

Having said that, what I have read about the Mavic 2 Pro sounds pretty interesting... obstacle avoidance front, back, and side, as well as below. Camera looks to be pretty nice... Before I do anything, I think I will wait until it releases to see what it REALLY is (August 23). I would guess that its announcement will also reduce the street price of the origianal Mavic Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny8462 View Post
Check out the splash drone. Can land and take off in water. It can also drop cargo from the air(like water balloon or life vest). Its made by swellpro. https://www.swellpro.com
Conceptually, this sounds like a great idea. But the reviews I have read so far are not good at all... but there are not a LOT of reviews, so that could be misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
There's an app for your phone called "B4Ufly" and you should get it. It takes your location and shows you where you CAN'T fly. (airports, hospitals, every dog shit on the road) You'd be amazed how little fly area you really have. I've been flying for years and on my 4th drone already. (Mavic Air). Some places are so tight azz about it, they just say "No flying anywhere" and they're done. Although local leo's aren't overly concerned and don't usually do/say anything, if someone complains and you're in a 'no fly zone' they'll write you a hefty fine and confiscate the drone. They don't want to deal with it either.
Downloaded it... and you are right, sure looks like a lot of limited airspace, but the human factors of the app leave a lot to be desired IMHO. This is what happens when a bunch of bureaucrats who dont understand the topic at hand start writing laws. I clearly get that there should be some limitations, especially around active airports. Unfortunately, idiots do walk among us. I recently saw a video where the drone pilot when very high in the pattern and actually tracked an airliner that flew under it. I cant imagine why someone would think that was a good idea.
(Traded)

2018 Ford F150 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
milehighjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #58
milehighjc
Bleeds Scarlet and Gray

This is the video I was referring to. Who knows if real, but if it is... wow. Just wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzXmxjGbeIk
(Traded)

2018 Ford F150 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
milehighjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:14 PM   #59
Bretz
Say no to yellow&Joey

I've been gone for a while.

Jeff, I agree that you need multiple batteries. The MavicPro Fly More is what I bought, and I would buy it again (although I would do a little more research to see what the new one offers - but it looks cool).

I don't take off from the Malibu. Heck, it is hard enough to land it back on the top of the houseboat when it is on shore.

I have some good photos, and I need to do some video editing of our recent Powell trip.
2007 Lund 1660 Sport
Bretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:33 PM   #60
twocell
HQ Chappy

OK, y'all are brave getting that $700+ Mavic pro.

I just used credit card points and got a cheapo drone, made out of styrofoam, to learn with. Doesn't have GPS, auto return, auto take off or any of that stuff. Got caught in a tree once, used tent poles to knock it out. Have glued it back together three times. I figure that all of these mistakes will make me a better pilot, much like the way that my first 15.5 ft. trihull boat made me a better captain.

I just ordered a Holy Stone drone that has all of the aforementioned features that the styrofoam one lacks. Not opening it till Spring. Still only in the $200-$250 price range. I have a few more crashes left with this one.

2003 Chaparral 210 SS
5.0 MPI Alpha
(former 202 owner)
2012 Ram Big Horn Quad Cab
5.7 Hemi 4x4

WITH RED AND WHITE YOU WON'T BE BLUE.
twocell is offline   Reply With Quote