Home Forums Today's Posts Classifieds
Go Back   Crownie HQ Boater's Forum > General Discussion Boating

Old 05-15-2018, 10:56 PM   #21
Bruce E
bruce e

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretz View Post
Interesting (and I think understandable) point of view.

Let me elaborate a little more on the costs associated to see if you still feel the same.

The way this vacation or ownership works, is you pay a chunk up front that is the buy in to be a part of the ownership on this depreciating asset. That just gets you in the door.

Then, each year, you pay a weekly fee, or incremental cost, to use that particular week. Somewhere between $2300 - $3500.

Both of your positions are that should be paid by the owner of the houseboat?

I'm not judging because I am trying to set my own reasonable expectations.

As a point of comparison, the closest rental houseboat on the lake is over $10,000/week. https://reservations.ahlsmsworld.com...Search/Results
In your case, I would split the incremental (weekly) houseboat expense, the boat fuel expense, and all food/drink, etc expense evenly among the adult participants. (You cover the upfront houseboat payment and boat capital and maintenance costs - under the premise you are going to pay for it anyway...)
Bruce E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:14 AM   #22
Bretz
Say no to yellow&Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanN View Post
Boat -vs- lodging. And the houseboat is lodging. If I was going to rent a cabin in the mountains for a week and invite a group of friends to come with, we would split the costs out divided by the # of adults in the group. We've always done it like that so I think the houseboat would be the same.

Having somebody on your boat to go tubing and skiing and whatever is different. Have folks chip in for gas, etc. But for an expense like a houseboat, I think it is fair to tell that group of people that they will need to chip in if they want to spend a week on it.

Just my .02 cents.
Boat vs lodging is pretty much my way of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim r 2012 18SS View Post
Rent boat at marina to go sight seeing with wifey, lake Powell. 2 days and no friends. Best time of my life.

Run over yellow boats for side bet. You'll have a great time.
I can always count on you to put a different spin on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
Probably the people you should be asking is your usual friends / guests, to find out if they are willing to continue to come and enjoy a week on a more luxurios unit at essentially double their weekly costs. Your current $600 per couple per week sounds like a very attractive price. Doubling that cost with the new rig doesnt sound out of line, in fact still sounds like a bargain to me.
We have one couple plus one individual who I would consider regulars. And they are all more than willing to chip in. We had one other family that I thought was going to be regulars, and they already backed out for this years trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Chad~ View Post
Can I reserve it for next year?
How about this August?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce E View Post
In your case, I would split the incremental (weekly) houseboat expense, the boat fuel expense, and all food/drink, etc expense evenly among the adult participants. (You cover the upfront houseboat payment and boat capital and maintenance costs - under the premise you are going to pay for it anyway...)
That is the direction I am going.
2007 Lund 1660 Sport
Bretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #23
rosspulliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce E View Post

The additional information you shared makes it pretty clear how to handle it to me. I agree with Bruce. The incremental for the week should be shared equally by the adults attending.

Sounds like you could fill up the larger boat with forum members
rosspulliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #24
Bald Mike
Seriously Awesome Boats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Chad~ View Post
Can I reserve it for next year?
Get in line!

$600 for a week on a houseboat at Powell? Hell, I'm in.

Pre-Enjoyed Boats: www.BaldMikesBoats.com

Two-thirds of the earth’s surface would be wasted, if it wasn’t for boating.
Bald Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #25
Bald Mike
Seriously Awesome Boats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretz View Post
lol

Pre-Enjoyed Boats: www.BaldMikesBoats.com

Two-thirds of the earth’s surface would be wasted, if it wasn’t for boating.
Bald Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #26
brockhals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretz View Post
And to further argue on your side, I have expenses on my Malibu. And I wouldn't consider having someone pay me for that.

And, as a comparison, I have a friend that rents a 22' wake boat every year, and pays over $5000 for the week.

I struggle with the expectations here because I wouldn't charge for the Malibu. But we split all the other costs of the trip down the middle.

I guess part of the difference in my eyes is that if we didn't want to go to Powell with a decent sized group, we wouldn't have the expense of the houseboat?
Thanks for the clarification. In this case then, I'd absolutely split the costs since it's an additional cost to you to use it for that week regardless of attendees. And it sounds like you would only use it in cases where you have several joining you vs you going, then others tagging along last minute. I'm with you now.
brockhals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #27
milehighjc
Bleeds Scarlet and Gray

Think I am falling with most on this one... the incremental cost should go into the overall expenses to be split... which IMHO for a vacation trip like that should include any variable shared expenses... gas, food etc.

For our BU, I dont expect anything from anyone for day trips. In fact, generally I decline to accept, as I am trying to show them a good time as our guests. But I do appreciate when people bring some food/drink to share, and frequent guests tend to buy a tank of gas now and again - which I appreciate, but never expect. It is true that those guests tend to get invited more frequently - not because I want them to pay for gas again, but rather to give them more "return" when they do.

While I dont ask, I DO kind of expect to get a hand with end of day clean up.
Most guests bend over backwards to help - but a couple have been known to casually stand by watching while we clean the boat after recovering. Those... do not get invited back.
(Traded)

2018 Ford F150 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
milehighjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:09 AM   #28
DrewM5
Bi-Seasonal & Proud of It

I never expect money for the boat, but always appreciate the offer. What I will do is allow my guest to throw in the $20 for the tip for the guy at the marina. I also never expect money to cover the cost of the house, but almost everyone (and anyone who gets invited back) will ask what they can bring and we typically will give them a small portion of the shopping list. I would also say that 9/10 times, if we go out for dinner one of the nights, the guests will offer to pick it up. For me, it is the attitude/appreciation and NOT the money.

But I agree with most of the previous replies that this situation is somewhat different. I would draw the analogy to a time share on an island that had room for four people but cost you $1,000 to book for your week. You may or may not go, but probably would not go alone. If you were to ask another couple to go with you, what would you do? Me, I would tell them it is $1,000 incremental cost that we split 50/50 and that all the other fixed annual membership costs, etc. are on me. I would make sure we all were on the same page going in - particularly if this was a deviation from past practices. If my friends don't want to cover half, no problem - we can catch dinner when I am back from the trip with my other friends.

2017 E4 350hp 6.2L BIII
2005 240EX "Chaos" (Sold)
DrewM5 is offline   Reply With Quote