Home Forums Today's Posts Classifieds
Go Back   Crownie HQ Boater's Forum > General Discussion Boating

Old 05-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
trbojet

vCash: 500
Default Bilge Blower Location

Just "purchased" a 1996 Crownline 202. I'm going thru it and there are no bilge blowers. Can someone tell me where to physically mount them and route the hoses? Thanks.
trbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
Michael Beckman
OG of the CHQ

Mine is mounted on the Transom Port side behind the Trim Pump. The Blower is used to draw fumes from the lowest point in the bilge and vent them directly out to the atmosphere. The other 3 Hoses are for makeup air from the outside of the boat. Note: the Exhaust Vent Hose should not be placed on the bilge floor, but about 3-4 inches from the floor so if there is water in the bilge the Hose is not in the water.

In my picture the Bilge Blower is white thing mounted on the Transom. If you need hose, go Menards, Home Depot, etc. and use 3" Dryer Hose it is less than half the cost buying the Marine stuff, I think it only comes in white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060028.jpg (80.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg P1050022.jpg (85.9 KB, 120 views)
Daily driver - '92 Corvette Convertible - Blackrose/Lt. Grey - 6 Speed. (sold)
My New GSD Project - Winsome's Bearfoot Journey aka "Journey"
Michael Beckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #3
trbojet

Thank you for the info....
trbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #4
Adam K

Interesting you ask as I have a question as well. I have a 2002 crownline 202.

On Monday, I noticed the hose that sits in front of the engine just above the bilge was cracked/coming apart, so I just ordered a new one on Amazon. This particular hose runs from just above the bilge up to the outside vents above the swim deck.

I am curious though, in my case the blower is located in nearly the same spot as Micheal's, but just a bit higher.

What I noticed though, is that when I turn on the blower, the blower is actually blowing air INTO the engine compartment, not OUT the vents in the transom above the swim deck.

I know I need to provide pics, and I had planned to before starting a new thread, but this thread showed up and boom, here is a chance to get my question out there.

I have been looking at bilge blower flow diagrams online, but most are for dual engine setups.

My gut tells me, don't change anything, just replace the broken hose and leave it be, but here is a chance to get expert advice.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #5
Greg S
Hot 4 Teacher 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beckman View Post
Mine is mounted on the Transom Port side behind the Trim Pump. The Blower is used to draw fumes from the lowest point in the bilge and vent them directly out to the atmosphere. The other 3 Hoses are for makeup air from the outside of the boat. Note: the Exhaust Vent Hose should not be placed on the bilge floor, but about 3-4 inches from the floor so if there is water in the bilge the Hose is not in the water.

In my picture the Bilge Blower is white thing mounted on the Transom. If you need hose, go Menards, Home Depot, etc. and use 3" Dryer Hose it is less than half the cost buying the Marine stuff, I think it only comes in white.
mike, that's the cleanest carpet i've seen under the sunpad on a used crownline. why CL uses carpet back there is beyond me.
2008 Triton Cypress Cay 200 Angler fishing boat
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins Crew Cab
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
codgaard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam K View Post
Interesting you ask as I have a question as well. I have a 2002 crownline 202.

On Monday, I noticed the hose that sits in front of the engine just above the bilge was cracked/coming apart, so I just ordered a new one on Amazon. This particular hose runs from just above the bilge up to the outside vents above the swim deck.

I am curious though, in my case the blower is located in nearly the same spot as Micheal's, but just a bit higher.

What I noticed though, is that when I turn on the blower, the blower is actually blowing air INTO the engine compartment, not OUT the vents in the transom above the swim deck.

I know I need to provide pics, and I had planned to before starting a new thread, but this thread showed up and boom, here is a chance to get my question out there.

I have been looking at bilge blower flow diagrams online, but most are for dual engine setups.

My gut tells me, don't change anything, just replace the broken hose and leave it be, but here is a chance to get expert advice.
Again...not a mechanic but I'm guessing it's pulling in fresh air creating positive pressure in the bilge area forcing any fumes to vent out.
codgaard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:40 PM   #7
Outcast

Typically a blower motor is mounted above water line and the inlet hose(suckside) will be mounted low in bilge........but not so low as to suck in water............gas vapor will sink to lowest point.........the out take hose should blow air out a vent somewhere higher than the low hose. it does not have to be attached to the high vent just close will do..............anyway removing fumes at low point lowers pressure in that area then cleaner air from the higher side vents will rush in to replace.......on my 210 the high side vents hoses terminate in my bilge area away from the pick up hose.

It would not work as efficient if the low pick up hose was right next to the high side inlet vent hoses....they should be kept apart for better efficiency .

Also I add switch on my throttle cable that turns on my blower at around 2000 rpm as I drop off plane.............never could remember to turn that darn blower on out on the water!!!!!!!!!!
Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:05 PM   #8
Michael Beckman
OG of the CHQ

Thanks, Greg, it's tough to keep clean with all the lubricants needed to keep the beast going. I was going to replace the carpeting in that area with linoleum. I'll bet you haven't herd that name in a while.
Daily driver - '92 Corvette Convertible - Blackrose/Lt. Grey - 6 Speed. (sold)
My New GSD Project - Winsome's Bearfoot Journey aka "Journey"
Michael Beckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:32 AM   #9
Greg S
Hot 4 Teacher 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beckman View Post
Thanks, Greg, it's tough to keep clean with all the lubricants needed to keep the beast going. I was going to replace the carpeting in that area with linoleum. I'll bet you haven't herd that name in a while.
linoleum? that is correct
2008 Triton Cypress Cay 200 Angler fishing boat
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins Crew Cab
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #10
DrewM5
Bi-Seasonal & Proud of It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
mike, that's the cleanest carpet i've seen under the sunpad on a used crownline.
I think I identified your flawed assumption.

2017 E4 350hp 6.2L BIII
2005 240EX "Chaos" (Sold)
DrewM5 is offline   Reply With Quote