Home Forums Today's Posts Classifieds
Go Back   Crownie HQ Boater's Forum > General Discussion Non Boating

Old 02-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
RockerRider
Haulin' Axe

vCash: 500
Default Iowa Folks

I know there are a few of you in the Des Moines area. My daughter is graduating college this spring and has a job lined up. She will be in the Des Moines area...Johnston to be exact. We are currently looking for apartments in the area. Can any of you guys give me any feedback about places to look at or even more specifically areas to stay away from??

She said she would ideally like to be 15-20 minutes from work in Johnston cause driving is her relax/de-stress time. But we will look anywhere nice.

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

RockerRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:29 AM   #2
Mark Swenson
Super Moderator

We are in Ankeny just northeast of Johnston.

I don't really know much about apartments here but can ask my wife. She is in real estate and may know or be able to ask others.

Give me a couple days to get more info and put some thoughts together.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

....We are ALL a little CRAZY, some of us just show it more than others !!!....
Mark Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:45 AM   #3
RockerRider
Haulin' Axe

Thanks Mark!

Old 02-06-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
codgaard

We are on the NE side of Ankeny and love the area. There are a lot of very nice apartments that were just built on the north side of town just off 36th Street. I couldn't tell you the name of them but they are large brick apartment buildings. Did she by chance get a job with John Deere?
Old 02-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
RockerRider
Haulin' Axe

Quote:
Originally Posted by codgaard View Post
We are on the NE side of Ankeny and love the area. There are a lot of very nice apartments that were just built on the north side of town just off 36th Street. I couldn't tell you the name of them but they are large brick apartment buildings. Did she by chance get a job with John Deere?
Thanks for the info..Will check them out.

She is with John Deere. She did a internship with them last summer in Moline and they offered her a full time position right away. We have just been waiting to see if they were going to put her in Moline or Johnston....Just found out Monday!

Old 02-06-2019, 10:38 PM   #6
Dave McCalley
266 BR

I'd stay away from Eastern side of Des Moines. Ankeny is very nice.
Quad Cities/Moline etc. is a good area. Bettendorf on the Iowa side. Don't live in Illinois due to taxes.

Dave McCalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #7
Mark Swenson
Super Moderator

Chad,

As I mentioned before, we are in Ankeny.

Ankeny is a suburb of Des Moines and is just NE of Johnston. Population is 60,000+. It has a lot of the normal big box stores ... Target, Walmart, Kohls, Best Buy, Menards, Home Depot, etc. There are 2 Hy Vee and 2 Fareway grocery stores. So, there is really no need to leave town for most shopping needs.

There are plenty of restaurants.

The drive to Johnston is probably 20 minutes +/- depending on where a person lives and the destination. I am thinking that John Deere's offices are on 86th St in Johnston. From the NE side of Ankeny, it is probably easiest to get on I-35 and take I-35/80 west toward Johnston. But, it is also not bad to take local roads to Johnston, especially when the weather isn't great in the winter.

There are numerous newer apartment complexes ... Brick Towne at Piper, Brick Town at Signature Village, Fieldstream, Woodland Reserve, Prairie Lakes, Lakeshore, and The Sterling at Prairie Trail, just to mention a few. I would probably stay away from the Traditions apartments near DMACC ... likely more college students.

I also mentioned before that my wife is in real estate, and if/when your daughter decides to buy something. She would be glad to help. Our son bought a townhouse about a year ago in NE Ankeny near the Otter Creek & Briarwood golf courses, and his payment is about the same as what rent will be. Paula has sold several townhomes in the Ankeny area in the last year and has a good feel for that market.

Other options in the Des Moines area would be West Des Moines, Clive, and Urbandale. But, the commute from West Des Moines would be a little busier on I-35/80 on the west side. I hear about accidents on that stretch regularly, especially this time of year with winter driving conditions.

Hope this helps, and if you have questions, feel free to ask. Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ankeny Apartment_1.jpg (33.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Ankeny Apartment_2.jpg (31.8 KB, 58 views)

....We are ALL a little CRAZY, some of us just show it more than others !!!....
Mark Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #8
RockerRider
Haulin' Axe

Thanks Mark!! I really appreciate all the info. Might be in touch again as we start getting closer to finding something. Were going to try and meet her out there in a month or so to look around.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:58 PM   #9
Sando1

Fellow Deere employee here and somebody who works with a lot of recent college graduates. I assume she's entering Deere through one of the Development Programs. If she is I would recommend she ask the program coordinator about potential areas to live. A lot of these development kids hang out together and live near each other. It's very similar to incoming college Freshman, they build their own social network, and there are "cool" places to live. The development program coordinator should definitely know where the cool places are.