Crownie HQ Boater's Forum

Home Forums Today's Posts Classifieds
Go Back   Crownie HQ Boater's Forum > General Discussion Boating

Old 10-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Larry202br
KC0SKX

vCash: 500
Thumbs down Replacing docking light

I have the SS docking lights on my 202. One of them is burned out. Has anyone replaced their docking light? If so, where did you get the replacement bulb?
Larry202br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Randy Andersen

I seem to remember when someone asked this question a while back that it turned out to be a common halogen bulb that you should be able to find and match at an auto parts store.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
sundown

IF it is the "large" (about 4" diameter) docking light....you can get a replacement at Custom Stainless Steel - Benton Illinois. You can find the number in the listings (ask for Jackie). They made the housing and assembled the original light (I did a few in my time).

The actual light is a GE bulb that is a standard bulb you should be able to find at most auto parts stores. Again....ask Jackie for the model number or get one form her.

Getting the rubber housing off the SS is easy....but getting the light out of the rubber is kind of hard. Spray the inside of the rubber with WD40 for lubrication. Then, use a screw driver to pry under one side. Once side ways, the bulb comes out easy. The wiring is screwed to the bulb, so that part is easy.

If you need to remove the whole assembly from the hull....use a guitar string to cut the caulk.

Reassembly is the easy part. Use WD 40 again (if you need more). Remember to calk things up when you are done.
sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Larry202br
KC0SKX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundown View Post
IF it is the "large" (about 4" diameter) docking light....you can get a replacement at Custom Stainless Steel - Benton Illinois. You can find the number in the listings (ask for Jackie). They made the housing and assembled the original light (I did a few in my time).

The actual light is a GE bulb that is a standard bulb you should be able to find at most auto parts stores. Again....ask Jackie for the model number or get one form her.

Getting the rubber housing off the SS is easy....but getting the light out of the rubber is kind of hard. Spray the inside of the rubber with WD40 for lubrication. Then, use a screw driver to pry under one side. Once side ways, the bulb comes out easy. The wiring is screwed to the bulb, so that part is easy.

If you need to remove the whole assembly from the hull....use a guitar string to cut the caulk.

Reassembly is the easy part. Use WD 40 again (if you need more). Remember to calk things up when you are done.
You've identified the part exactly. Getting the rubber boot off was a bit of a challenge at first, but once it broke loose, it slide right off. Getting the lamp out of the rubber boot proved to be just as hard as you described. I used liquid soap rather than WD-40 for lube, and perhaps it wasn't enough, because as I was prying, and prying, and prying, eventually the lens broke away from the reflector, and I pryed that part out. Then the reflector conviently broke into several pieces, allowing me to remove that component as well.
re-assembling some of the pieces of the reflector, I found the part number of the bulb, it's a Wagner H7614. I still need to contact Custom Stainless Steel, if I can't find the bulb locally.
Interestingly, they don't list docking lights on their website, I guess they don't make them any longer.
I did find those bulbs for sale on Ebay.

thanks for your advice and help!
Old 10-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
Shane P
Come on Spring!!!

Dang, that's another thing I need to do this winter.
Shane P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
sundown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sherwood View Post
Interestingly, they don't list docking lights on their website, I guess they don't make them any longer.
I did find those bulbs for sale on Ebay.

thanks for your advice and help!
Yes, they still make the lights. But most are sold thru TACO METALS. And even if they don't make many...they will have lights around.

To get the bulb out...wd40 works best...be agressive. When it is wired to the boat, it is REALLY difficult. I always did it on a bench. I would use my knee to force the shape of the rubber out of round and thus forcing the bulb out of its pocket and sideways. Kind of a forward and down force twisting the bulb. It helps to use a large blade screwdriver on the bulb also. Take care not to push the screw driver thru the rubber.

The process is somewhat of an art. Once you do one, it gets easier.

If you talk to Jackie...say hey from me....

ds
Old 10-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
sundown

you know...I have one in my office here.

I could sell you the bulb IN THE BOOT if you want. mmm let's see $$$$??? lol
Old 10-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
todd nolte
DONT PANIC!

i have the paper work scanned to pdf that came with my boat regarding the docking lights.
they are the larger 'stainless' docking lights as apposed to the smaller 'chrome' lights you see on most other boats.

mine were apparently made by 'Aqua-Signal' (note they also make the smaller 'chrome' ones)
i cant remember the part numbers of if the bulb is noted... im at work now and i dont have that document served anywhere where i can see it now.
i can send you the pdf if you want it.

im talking about the same docking light they put on the lpx. (unless it looks the same but they changed manufacturers.)
todd nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
Larry202br
KC0SKX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundown View Post
you know...I have one in my office here.

I could sell you the bulb IN THE BOOT if you want. mmm let's see $$$$??? lol
I had it on the bench, but it was being very stubborn. there was a point last night where you could have sold me that assembly on your desk, BTW, where do you work that you have such a thing?

But now I have it out, and all I need is the bulb, I hope! I'll bet that light and boot assembly is $$$$!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #10
sundown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sherwood View Post
BTW, where do you work that you have such a thing?
I don't work.

If you lube it up...it'l slide right out. Use your knee on it while you pry with the driver.